You can use any variety of raisins in this dessert, but we have used Sun-Maid Mixed Jumbo Raisins. They are comprised of California Golden Raisins, Thompson Raisins, and Red Flame Raisins, and are a very delicious addition to this light and healthy bread pudding. The buttermilk lends a creamy tang to the pudding, and the raw sugar, fresh vanilla bean and grated nutmeg bring festive flavor elements to make this a pudding special enough for even the fanciest occasion.
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 c raw sugar
- 1 1/2 c low-fat buttermilk
- 1 1/2 c nonfat milk
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/3 c mixed jumbo raisins
- 8 slices white bread, cut in 1 inch squares
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Butter a 10 x 6 x 2 inch baking dish. In a large bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk until smooth. Add buttermilk and nonfat milk.
- Split the vanilla bean in half lengthwise with a sharp knife. Scrape out all the vanilla seeds and place them in the bowl. Add the freshly grated nutmeg and mixed jumbo raisins. Mix in the bread squares and allow to stand 5 minutes.
- Pour pudding into prepared baking dish. Place the dish inside a larger baking dish and pour in water until it reaches up the side of the smaller dish by 1/2 inch. Carefully place this double dish in the center of the oven and bake for 60-70 minutes, or until set up and golden. Serve with more jumbo raisins and whipped cream.