We tried one of the new vegetarian protein products by Creative Foods, Dark Gluten Flakes, recently and found it to be delicious and full of potential for many fine meals. Our first effort was the “Country Fries with Faux Chipped Beef” recipe and it was tasty. Now we are offering a rich Stroganoff recipe that uses a product by Allens Quality Vegetables, their canned Italian Bean Shellouts.
- 1 c dark gluten flakes
- 1/2 c hot water
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp beef style broth and seasoning mix
- 2 Tbsp margarine or butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1-4 oz can mushrooms (reserve liquid)
- 1-14.5 oz can Italian bean shellouts (reserve liquid)
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 1-10 oz can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 8 oz (4 cups dry) egg noodles, cooked according to package directions
- Mix gluten flakes, hot water, soy sauce and beef style broth mix in a shallow dish and allow to stand 20-30 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat the margarine and saute the onion over medium heat until it is tender and begins to brown.
- Add the drained mushrooms and drained Italian bean shellouts and saute a few minutes until thoroughly heated.
- In a medium bowl, mix the reserved mushroom and bean liquids with the sour cream and mushroom soup. Use a whisk to get this mixture smooth.
- Stir the mixture into the skillet mixture and cook just until hot. Dot not boil.
- Serve over the cooked noodles.