These days you can get canned diced tomatoes with various herbs and seasonings. In this recipe, we’ve made use of one such convenient product, Diced Tomatoes with Zesty Mild Green Chilies. Del Monte puts these out, but there are many other fine brands.
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil, divided use
- 1 small globe eggplant, sliced 1/2 inch thick (unpeeled)
- 1/2 c onion, chopped
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1-14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with zesty mild chilies
- 1 Tbsp parsley, minced
- 1 c low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/4 c Romano cheese, grated (divided use)
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat one tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Brown the slices of eggplant on both sides until partially tender, adding a second tablespoon of oil if needed. Remove and set aside.
- Add the third tablespoon of olive oil to pan and saute onion and garlic.
- Add tomatoes and parsley.
- Simmer uncovered 5 minutes, stirring and breaking down tomatoes somewhat with the back of your spoon.
- Spread half of tomato mixture in the bottom of a 8 x 6 x 2 inch pan.
- Mix cottage cheese, 3 tablespoons Romano cheese and egg. Spread over tomato mixture.
- Arrange eggplant slices on top.
- Cover with remaining half of tomato mixture.
- Sprinkle with remaining tablespoon of Romano.
- Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.