Oven Steamed Veggie Baloney
This bologna slices nicely...as thinly as you like. It has just the right amount of moisture and flavor for great sandwiches.
Makes one large 8-inch roll.
- 4 oz extra firm tofu
- 1 water
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 c vital wheat gluten
- 1/4 c nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground mace
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In an electric blender, place the tofu, water and oil. Process until smooth.
- Into a large bowl, sift the gluten flour. Whisk in the yeast, brown sugar, onion powder, paprika, salt, pepper, coriander, mace and cloves.
- Add the blender mixture to the bowl of dry ingredients and mix until a dough forms. On a clean surface, knead the dough 2 minutes.
- Form an 8-inch "log" with the dough. Wrap it tightly in parchment paper, twisting the ends to seal. Repeat process with aluminum foil, tightly wrapping and twisting ends.
- Place baloney roll in a large casserole dish. Pour 1/2 inch boiling water in the bottom of the dish. Cover tightly with lid or foil.
- Bake 35 minutes. Remove and carefully turn the roll over. Add more boiling water if needed (Do not add cold water or the dish may crack.) Bake another 35 minutes.
- Remove and allow to stand covered for 30 minutes to an hour. Carefully unwrap roll and chill. Once chilled, slice or dice for recipes. This roll will keep in the refigerator 3 weeks or in the freezer 3 months.