Chili Pepper Oil
This Japanese basic oil is great on rice, but we like to use it on steamed vegetables and a myriad of other dishes.
Makes about 1/2 cup.
- 1/4 c vegetable oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1-inch knob of ginger, minced
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 4-6 dry Japanese chili peppers, crushed
- 1/4 c toasted sesame seed oil
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the vegetable oil, garlic, ginger and green onion. Sauté until the garlic is well-browned, but not blackened.
- Remove from burner and stir in the sesame seed oil.
- Transfer to a small jar and cover tightly. Cool completely, then store in the refrigerator. Use within 2 weeks.