Makes 8 medium burgers.
- 1 c TVP (textured vegetable protein granules)
- 1 c boiling water
- 1 Tbsp vegetable broth mix (or 1 bouillon cube)
- 1 c mashed kidney beans (include a Tbsp or 2 of bean cooking liquid)
- 1 c Ritz cracker crumbs (or use any buttery crackers)
- 2 Tbsp whole wheat or all purpose flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- In a medium bowl, soak TVP in the boiling water and broth mix for 10 minutes.
- Add kidney beans, cracker crumbs, flour, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper. Stir well with a wooden spoon.
- Use clean hands to blend thoroughly.
- Divide mixture into 8 equal portions and form each into a 4 or 5-inch burger shape.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly oil a skillet or griddle. Brown the burgers a few minutes, turn and brown the other side, adding a bit more oil if needed.
- Transfer burgers to a large oiled baking sheet. Bake 30 minutes, turning the burgers over mid-way. Serve hot or warm with ketchup or salsa.