This low-calorie dish has a wonderful mix of spices and is easy to make.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced in semi-circles
- 1/2 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 Tbsp ginger root, minced
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1.4 tsp fennugreek
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 c cabbage, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 small waxy potatoes, cut in 1/2 inch dice
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- In a large pot on medium low heat, warm the olive oil.
- Add onions and saute 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, turmeric, fennugreek, cumin, cayenne, and pepper. Saute another 30 seconds.
- Add cabbage, carrots, potatoes and salt. Stir well.
- Cover and simmer 18 minutes, or until vegetables are tender, stirring at 6 minute intervals.
- Serve hot with a sprinkle of cilantro or parsley.