Sweet and Sour Veggie Dog StripsVeggie Dogs can be an element in an elegant dish like this, if they are cut in an appealing manner. We used vegan Cedar Lake Deli-Franks which you can purchase inexpensively online at Wholesome-Essential.com and store in your cupboard.
- 10 oz canned pineapple chunks with liquid
- 1/2 c water
- 2 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 6-8 veggie dogs
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch mixed in 1 Tbsp water
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 2-3 c cooked brown rice
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice. In small bowl, mix juice, water, vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar and salt. Set aside.
- Cut 1 veggie dog in half crosswise, forming 2 long portions. Cut each portion in half lengthwise and in halves lengthwise again. Repeat with remaining veggie dogs.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Saute the veggie dog strips until well browned, or about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove the veggie dog strips to a holding plate, leaving the remaining oil in the skillet. Add the juice mixture; bring to simmering.
- Add the well-stirred, dissolved cornstarch slurry and whisk briskly until smooth and thickened.
- Add back the veggie dogs, the pineapple chunks, onion, and bell pepper. Bring back to simmering. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 12 minutes. Serve over the brown rice.