Here is an easy vegan patty recipe submitted by Grace Carrin. These can be made in bulk and refrigerated for use throughout the week. Try them with one of Grace’s tasty variations!*
Makes about 6 medium patties.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 c water
- 1 tsp ‘The Vegg’ egg yolk replacer
- 15 oz extra firm tofu, rinsed and patted dry
- 1/2 c whole wheat flour or all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, and use the tablespoon of oil to generously oil a baking sheet. Set aside.
- Add the water to your food processor, sprinkle in ‘The Vegg’ egg yolk replacer, and pulse a few times until mostly blended.
- If the brand of tofu you are using is excessively wet, squeeze out as much water as possible while breaking it up; add to the food processor. Add all of the remaining ingredients. Process just until smooth and everything adheres together easily like a pasty dough.
- Divide mixture in 6 and flatten each into a patty shape. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 15 minutes, turn the patties over, and bake another 10-15 minutes or until browned and firm. (If a still browner color is desired, place under the broiler for a minute or two on each side.)
- Club Sandwich: Add Jersey tomatoes and faux bacon bits, mayo and lettuce.
- Vegan Turkey Burger: Add mayo, cranberry sauce and alfalfa sprouts and serve on a D’Italiano Kaiser roll or similar.
- Vegan Fish Sandwich: Add Dulse, homemade vegan tartar sauce and serve on a soft Kaiser roll.
- Vegan Mushroom Burger: Add sauteed sliced fresh mushrooms and onions, vegan Swiss cheese, mayo and ketchup.