Veggie Dogs can be an element in an elegant dish like this, if they are cut in an appealing manner. We used vegan Cedar Lake Deli-Franks which you can purchase inexpensively online at Wholesome-Essential.com and store in your cupboard.
- 10 oz canned pineapple chunks with liquid
- 1/2 c water
- 2 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 6-8 veggie dogs
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch mixed in 1 Tbsp water
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 2-3 c cooked brown rice
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice. In small bowl, mix juice, water, vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar and salt. Set aside.
- Cut 1 veggie dog in half crosswise, forming 2 long portions. Cut each portion in half lengthwise and in halves lengthwise again. Repeat with remaining veggie dogs.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Saute the veggie dog strips until well browned, or about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove the veggie dog strips to a holding plate, leaving the remaining oil in the skillet. Add the juice mixture; bring to simmering.
- Add the well-stirred, dissolved cornstarch slurry and whisk briskly until smooth and thickened.
- Add back the veggie dogs, the pineapple chunks, onion, and bell pepper. Bring back to simmering. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 12 minutes. Serve over the brown rice.