Poblano Chili Mac
I have been making chili mac for many years, ever since living in a border town in Texas. I have posted my standard chili mac recipe earlier, but this new recipe contains roasted poblano peppers (sometimes called 'pasillas'). So good!
- 1 c uncooked small elbow macaroni
- 2 large poblano peppers
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 2 c fresh tomatoes
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt
- 2 c boiling water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-15 oz can vegetarian ranch beans
- Prepare ingredients: Roast peppers over flame until charred; remove seeds and chop coarsely. Coarsely chop onions and tomatoes. Mince garlic.
- Fry onions in butter in a large pot until translucent.
- Add garlic, frying for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add peppers, beans, bay leaf, salt, water, and dry macaroni. Stir well.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover pot. Cook until macaroni is nearly done, stirring frequently (8-11 minutes). Take pot off heat and allow to stand covered 5 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf. Serve hot, topped with cheese or sour cream.