Low-cal Rigatoni Alfredo
- 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 large bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, cut in medium strips
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- pinch salt
- 1 1/2 c water
- 1 Tbsp vegetarian chicken broth mix
- 1/2 Tbsp dry parsley flakes
- pinch thyme
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 c whole milk
- 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 c rigatoni pasta (dry)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, cut in medium thick strips
- 8 Brussels sprouts, cut in halves lengthwise
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, warm the olive oil.
- Add onion, bell pepper and zucchini. Cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and saute one minute more.
- Pour in the water. Whisk in the broth mix, parsley, thyme, and pepper. Bring to boil and simmer 4 minutes.
- In a small bowl or cup, whisk the flour into the milk. Add to pot and whisk until this sauce has simmered one minute. Remove from flame. Set aside.
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to boiling. Add rigatoni, carrots, and Brussels sprouts. Cook about 10-11 minutes, or until all is tender.
- Drain rigatoni and vegetables; add back to pot. Stir in the sauce mixture and serve hot.