This is an eggless, delicious pie that is not too sweet…just right! (You will need a large pie plate for this pie. )
Makes one 9.5 inch pie.
- 1 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp cold butter, coarsely shreaded
- 1/3 c vegetable shortening
- 4-6 Tbsp ice water
- 4 c butternut squash, peeled, cubed (1/2 inch pieces)
- 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
- 1 c sugar
- 1/4 c cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 3/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp melted butter
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and sugar.
- Add butter and shortening; cut them into the flour with a pastry cutter or fork until well-distributed and the texture is like coarse meal.
- Add ice water a tablespoon at a time until the dough just comes together. Form a disc shape without overworking the dough.
- Roll the dough out between sheets of wax paper until 10.5 inches in diameter.
- Place crust in a 9.5 inch pie plate and flute the edges. Chill while making the filling.
Filling and Baking:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place the squash in a pot and cover with water. Bring to boiling over medium heat. Cook 10 minutes or until very tender. Drain well and cool slightly.
- Place squash in blender (or use stick blender or hand masher). Add one-half of the evaporated milk and all of the sugar. Process until very smooth. *(If using stand blender, remove center of lid and cover the opening tightly with a clean towel while processing.)
- Mix remainder of evaporated milk with cornstarch, pumpkin pie spice, salt and melted butter. Add to pureed squash and stir until well-blended.
- Pour squash mixture into the chilled crust. Bake 1 hour, or until set up. Cool at least an hour before serving. This pie is also good cold.