Eggplant Rotini Bake
I used Rainbow Rotini pasta in this dish, but any Rotini would do.This simple dish is light and delightful. It has authentic Italian flavors, yet is so easy to make.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium globe eggplant
- 3 c tomato pasta sauce
- 1 c small curd cottage cheese or ricotta
- 6 oz Rotini pasta
- 2 c Muenster cheese, shredded
- 1/4 c grated Romano cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Peel eggplant and slice 1/4 inch thick, crosswise. If pieces are very large, cut them in half.
- Use the olive oil to lightly oil a large griddle or 2 large skillets.
- Turn the griddle/skillets on medium heat and warm them. Add the eggplant slices in a single layer. Cook 4 minutes per side, or until lightly browned. Remove to a holding plate.
- Cook the Rotini in boiling salted water until al dente, according to package directions. Drain.
- In an 11 x 7 x 2 inch baking dish, ladle 1/2 cup of the sauce and spread it on the bottom.
- Place half of the eggplant slices in a layer on the sauce. Spread half of the cottage cheese on top.
- Sprinkle half of the Muenster over the cottage cheese and then, half of the Rotini.
- Repeat all layers once more.
- End with all of the remaining sauce and an even sprinkling of Romano.
- Bake uncovered for 25 minutes. Serve hot.