Pomegranate seeds, also called pomegranate berries, are loaded with nutrition and sweetness. They blend well with the flax seeds in this recipe, and the muffins stay moist and delicious for a few days after baking.
Makes 8 medium muffins.
- 1 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 1/4 c dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c pumpkin puree (or butternut squash)
- 1/2 c milk
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 c pomegranate berries with seeds
- 1/4 c flax seed meal
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F, and butter an 8-well muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat the egg. Add pumpkin, milk, and oil. Beat until well-combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, staring just until incorporated.
- Fold in the pomegranate berries and flax seed meal.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin wells and smooth tops.
- Bake 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool in pan 10 minutes, before turning out on wire rack to cool completely.