Chicken : Not Vegetable Cacciatore
I like the Dixie Diners' Club textured vegetable protein products, such as their Chicken (Not!) chunks. However, you can substitute any brand of vegetable protein chunks and use the vegetarian chicken broth to flavor them. This makes a tasty and comforting meal, and is really easy to make on the stove top!
Makes 4 Servings.
- 1 c Dixie Diners Club Chicken (Not!) Chunks**
- 1 c boiling water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 c diced zucchini
- 1 (28 oz) jar marinara sauce (or 2-3 cups homemade)
- 1 c vegetarian chicken style broth
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp red chili pepper flakes
- Soak Chicken (Not!) in the boiling water for 10 minutes.
- In a large, deep skillet over low heat, warm the olive oil. Sauté the onions, bell pepper, celery, carrots and zucchini in the olive oil for 7 minutes.
- Stir in the drained Chicken-Not! and garlic; sauté another 3 minutes.
- Add marinara sauce and chicken style broth; bring to a simmer on medium heat.
- Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot over pasta.
**Or use any brand of chicken flavored textured vegetable protein (TVP) strips or chunks.