This dish surprised me with its perfect flavor combinations. It is a fragrant, inviting luncheon or supper dish.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, mined
- 2 c diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 c water
- 1/4 tsp red chili pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 2 c cooked black-eyed peas
- 1 (10 oz) box frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 lemon, sliced
- In a large, heavy pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add onions and sauté 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and sauté another minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes with juice and the water.
- Season with the red chili flakes, bay leaf, marjoram, brown sugar, salt and pepper.
- Rinse and drain the black-eyed peas; add to pot.
- Drain spinach and add. Bring the pot to a boil. Reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Serve hot oven steamed rice. Place lemon slices on the side.