I used plantains that had just gone completely black, and they were sweet and delicious, yet still firm. You may also use yellow plantains that have a few black spots on them.
Makes about 10-12 pieces.
- 2 large ripe plantains
- 1/2-inch knob ginger root
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Peel plantains, using knife as necessary. Slice 1-inch thick and place on a baking sheet.
- Grate peeled garlic and ginger, using a zester or fine grater. Place oil, ginger, garlic, chili flakes, and salt in a small bowl and blend.
- Pour mixture over the plantains and toss well, using your hands. Distribute garlic/ginger paste evenly and place plantains in a single layer.
- Bake 10 minutes, flip over, and bake another 10 minutes, or until golden brown on both sides. Serve hot or warm.