This salad may be made a day ahead of a special dinner. It keeps well when covered and refrigerated. We like it for a light, low-calorie lunch.
Makes about 3 cups.
- 14-16 oz garbanzo beans, home-cooked or canned
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- 2 medium carrots, peeled
- 2 Tbsp minced onion
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp celery seed
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- Rinse the garbanzo beans and drain well.
- Place the basil leaves together, one on top of the other, and roll them up like a cigar. Finely slice the bundle to make a chiffonade.
- Shred the carrots on the coarse side of a box grater or disc of a food processor.
- Place drained beans, basil, shredded carrots, and onion in large bowl; toss well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, lime juice, celery seed, garlic, salt and pepper. Add to the large bowl.
- Toss well and serve. Refrigerate unused portion up to a week.