These cabbage rolls taste even better the second day, reheated. The nutty taste of the buckwheat goes well with peanut butter.
- 12 whole cabbage leaves
- 3 c water, divided use
- 1 c buckwheat groats
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 6 Tbsp minced parsley
- 1/4 c creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 c raisins
- 2 T sesame seeds
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 6 T minced bell pepper
- 6 T minced onion
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 c tomato sauce
- 2 T raw cane sugar
- 1 T apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 c water
- Place 1 c of the water in a large pot and add the cabbage leave.
- Bring to heat, cover, lower heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and set aside.
- Put buckwheat, salt and 2 c of the water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil, lower heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes.
- In bowl, mix buckwheat with green onions, parsley, peanut butter and raisins. Divide evenly between cabbage leaves.
- Roll up the stuffed cabbage leaves, tucking in sides until they form a “burrito shape”.
- Place in oiled 11? X 9? baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix sauce ingredients in a pan and bring to heat.
- Lower temperature, and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour a spoonful of sauce over each cabbage roll.
- Cover the baking dish tightly with tin foil and bake for 45 minutes until hot and tender.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds.