This soup can be ready in about 40 minutes and feeds an army. The tofu sets it apart.
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 c onion, chopped
- 1/2 c green bell pepper, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dry basil
- 1/2 tsp dry oregano
- 1/2 tsp dry rosemary
- 3 c tomato sauce
- 1 qt vegetable broth, well-seasoned
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 c fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 c fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 broccoli crown, cut in small spears
- 2 carrots, cut in 1/4 inch dice
- 2 celery stalks, coarsely cut
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1-15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-15 oz can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-15 oz can green beans with liquid
- 2 c rotini pasta
- salt to taste, if needed
- 6 oz tofu, cut in 1/4 inch cubes
- Parmesan cheese
- In large kettle heat the olive oil and saute the onion and bell pepper until tender.
- Add the garlic and stir another minute; add the basil, oregano and rosemary and allow to heat in the oil.
- Add the tomato sauce, vegetable broth, bay leaves, spinach, parsley, broccoli, carrots, celery, black pepper, allspice, black beans, garbanzos, and green beans.
- Allow to reach a boil, lower heat, simmer 10 minutes, skimming any impurities off the top.
- Add rotini and simmer another 8 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Correct seasonings and add the tofu.
- Turn off heat and allow to stand 10 minutes as tofu warms up and spices blend.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese.