Here is the second recipe in our Terkettes series. This dish is a lot like veal Parmesan without the excess fat and cholesterol. The mozzarella is not needed, but it really throws this recipe over the top!
- 8 oz Terkettes or seitan
- 1 egg
- 1 T water
- 1 c Italian style dry breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 c spaghetti sauce
- 1/4 c Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/8 tsp coarse black pepper
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded (optional)
- 6 oz pasta, cooked according to package directions
- Cut Terkettes into 1/8 inch long slices.
- In a small bowl, beat egg with water. In another small bowl place the breadcrumbs.
- Dip Terkettes in the egg wash and dredge in breadcrumbs.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium low heat.
- Add breaded Terkettes and brown on all sides.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Oil an 8 X 8 inch baking pan and place the Terkettes in an even layer.
- Cover with 1 c of the spaghetti sauce and all of the Parmesan cheese and black pepper. If desired, add the mozzarella on top.
- Bake uncovered for 10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and is slightly browned.
- Serve over your favorite pasta, the remaining sauce, and extra Parmesan cheese.