Hot Cross Bran BunsThese bran buns make a special breakfast or snack on Easter Sunday.
Makes 12 medium buns.
- 1 c milk
- 2 Tbsp vegetable shortening
- 1/3 c sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp orange extract
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 Tbsp lukewarm water
- 2 1/3 c whole wheat flour
- 2/3 c millers bran
- 1/2 c raisins
- 1 recipe orange icing* (see below)
- Scald milk. Cool slightly and place in electric mixer bowl. Add shortening and sugar; cool to lukewarm.
- To cooled milk mixture, add egg, salt, and orange extract.
- Add yeast that has been dissolved in 2 tablespoons lukewarm water. Stir in one cup of the flour and all of the bran; beat on high for 3 minutes.
- Remove bowl from mixer and add enough of remaining flour to make a soft, sticky dough. Stir in raisins.
- Shape dough into 12 balls ( approximately 1/3 cup each). Place side by side in a buttered 11 x 7 x 2 inch baking dish. With damp fingertips, press tops flat and smooth them. Slash a cross on top of each bun. Cover loosely with foil and let rise until double or about 60-90 minutes.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 17-20 minutes. Cool completely on a rack before marking with icing crosses as per below.
*In a small plastic food storage bag, place 1 cup confectioner's sugar, 1 tablespoon water, and 1/2 tsp orange extract. 'Massage' the icing, rubbing bag between fingers, until well blended. Snip corner off bag and pipe cross pattern on cooled buns.