This is true vegetarian comfort food that will make you feel well-nourished and has a tempting, exotic flavor.
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp ground asafetida (hing)
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 c finely chopped onion
- 1/2 c finely chopped carrot
- 1/4 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1/4 tsp fresh grated garlic
- 1/2 c finely chopped tomato
- 2 black cardamom pods
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 c whole mung beans
- 1/2 c short grain brown rice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 c water
- 2 Tbsp minced cilantro
- Heat oil and butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add asafetida, mustard seeds, and cumin seeds; stir 20 seconds.
- Add onion, carrot, ginger, and garlic. Stir-fry until onion begins to turn transparent.
- Add tomato, cardamom pods, turmeric, mung beans and rice. Sauté for another minute.
- Add salt and water, stir, and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to very low setting, and simmer 50 minutes. (The masala should be slightly brothy and very aromatic.)
- Gently stir masala, sprinkle with cilantro, and serve hot.