The Umbrian variety of lentils is small and brownish-green. If you do not have authentic Unbrian lentils, any small brown lentils will work in this recipe. The flavors of this Umbrian-style recipe are earthy and satisfying. Serve it with a good, rustic bread for a high-protein, low calorie, and inexpensive meal.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/2 large bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 c Umbrian lentils (or small brown lentils)
- 3 c vegetable broth
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 4 eggs, fried in olive oil
- In a 2 quart or larger heavy pot, warm the olive oil on medium heat.
- Add celery, bell pepper, tomato, and green onion. Saute 5 minutes. Add garlic; saute another 30 seconds.
- Pour in lentils and broth. Stir in the oregano, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer, reduce to lowest setting, cover. Simmer 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Lentils are done when they are al dente, tender but not mushy.
- Serve with a fried egg on top of each serving, and a slice of good bread beside.