This eggless treat may be made with store-bought graham flour or with home-milled whole wheat berries. Both contain all of the germ and gran of the wheat kernel. Each 1/10 piece contains about 215 calories, and makes a great breakfast or snack.
Makes 10 servings.
- 1 1/2 tsp white distilled vinegar
- scant 1 1/2 c coconut milk (or soy or dairy milk)
- 1/2 c raw honey
- 3 c graham flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 c finely chopped plums
- 1/2 c unsweetened dry shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and grease (With vegetable shortening) an 11 x 7 x 3 inch baking dish or similar.
- Pour the vinegar in a meauring jug and add enough coconut milk to make a total of 1 1/2 cups liquid.
- Pour this mixture into a large bowl; add honey and beat by hand or with an electric mixer until well-incorporated.
- Add flour, baking soda and salt. Beat slowly until combined; beat vigorously until a smooth, cake batter forms.
- Fold in the plums. Pour batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with coconut.
- Bake 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the thickest part comes out clean.
- Cool in pan. Cut in half lengthwise. Cut crosswise in five, making 10 even pieces of about 215 calories each.