Spanish Garbanzos and Rice
Using pre-cooked short-grain brown rice in Spanish rice recipes works very nicely. The brown rice retains its texture. I like to make a large pot of short-grain brown rice and use it in recipes throughout the week.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, finely diced
- 1 c seitan, julienned (optional))
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (15 oz) can garbanzos, drained and rinsed
- 1 c frozen peas
- 2 c water
- 2 c pre-cooked small-grain brown rice
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Warm a 12-inch skillet or paella pan on medium heat. Add olive oil.
- Stir in the onions, carrots and seitan. Saute 3 minutes.
- Add garlic; saute another minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes, garbanzos, peas, water, rice, paprika, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer 15 minutes, stirring several times. The dish is done when most of the liquid has been absorbed. Serve hot.