These eggless scones are only 141 calories each. They are easy to make, and offer good quality wheatgerm protein.
Makes 12 (2.5 inch) scones.
- 1 1/3 c all purpose flour
- 1/3 c raw wheatgerm
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter (cold)
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1/3 c chopped dates
- 3/4 c evaporated milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, wheatgerm, baking powder, cardamom and salt.
- Into the dry ingredients, shred the butter on a coarse box grater.
- Cut the butter into the dry ingredients using a fork or pastry blender until distributed throughout.
- Stir in the sugar and dates.
- Add the milk, stirring just enough to combine into a soft dough.
- Spoon the dough onto a well-floured board. Flour the top and fold over twice. Press the dough out (or use a rolling pin) until it is about 1/2 inch thick.
- Use a 2.5-inch biscuit cutter to cut the scones. Reroll the dough until all 12 scones are formed.
- Place scones on prepared baking sheet; bake 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.