Based on a traditional Chinese dish, pai huang gua”, this crispy salad is refreshing, delicious. and low in calories.
- 2 large garden cucumbers
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp toasted sesame seed oil
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes
- Peel cucumbers, leaving thin “stripes” of green peel for color.
- Cut stem ends off; then cut cucumbers in 2-inch pieces. Place them on a large baking sheet.
- Smash each cucumber piece with a small, heavy skillet or meat mallot just once or twice, or until flattened and broken somewhat.
- Remove excess seeds and cut in bite-sized pieces.
- Place in a strainer over a bowl; sprinkle evenly with kosher salt. Allow to stand 30 minutes, draining off excess liquid.
- Place cucumbers in a bowl and add remaining ingredients. Toss to combine. Add pinch of salt if needed.
- Cover and chill until served.