My daughter developed this amazing holiday recipe. I think you will love the texture and flavor!
Makes 8 large cookies.
- 1 stick (8 Tbsp) unsalted butter
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) raw sugar
- 50 grams (about 2 1/2 tbsp) molasses
- 1/2 Tbsp ginger
- 1/2 Tbsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp ground cloves
- 225 grams (about 1.5 cups) all purpose flour
- 1/2 Tbsp baking soda
- 3/16 tsp salt
- 37 ml (about 2 1/2 Tbsp) water
- 1/4 Tbsp spiced rum (optional)
- zest of 1 orange
- 1-2 Tbsp yogurt baking chips (optional)
- In a small, light-colored skillet or saucepan (so you can see the color of the butter), brown the butter by melting it over medium heat; continuously stir for 5 minutes, or lightly browned and no longer foaming.
- Heat water in the bottom of a bain-marie until boiling. Add browned butter, raw sugar, molasses, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves. Stir gently and continuously for 10 minutes to develop flavors.
- Remove from heat; sift in flour, baking soda. and salt. Stir until combined.
- Add water, rum, and orange zest. Bring together into a dough ball.
- Cover and refrigerate dough 1 hour, or until ready to roll out.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F and line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll dough out 1/4 inch thick; cut with cookie cutter(s). Place cut cookies on prepared sheet. Add yogurt chip decorations.
- Bake 8 minutes. Flip cookies over and bake another 2 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes (important). Transfer to rack; fully cool.
- Serve once cooled. Store unused cookies in a paper bag. (These cookies are best the 2nd or 3rd day.)