Using canned beans and common vegetables, this chili comes together quickly, and tastes great!
- 4 Tbsp olive oil (divided use)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 jalapeno pepper, seeded, minced
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 (15 oz) cans pinto beans (or vegetarian beans), rinsed, drained
- 1 1/2 c vegetable broth
- 1 c tomato juice
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp corn meal (or all purpose flour)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 c shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large, heavy pot over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add onion, celery, and carrots. Cook 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add garlic and jalapenos. Saute one minute.
- Add tomatoes; saute another 3 minutes.
- Stir in the beans, broth and tomato juice. Bring to a simmer. Simmer 10 minutes while making a roux (as follows).
- Roux: In a small skillet or saucepan over medium heat, warm the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add chili powder, paprika, corn meal and salt. Stir until it begins to bubble. Remove from heat and set aside.
- When chili has cooked 10 minutes, stir in the roux until completely dissolved and the chili has thickened a bit.
- Pour into bowls and sprinkle each serving with cheddar cheese. Serve hot or warm.