- 1 large yellow yam
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp vegetable salt
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans with packing liquid
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1/2 c shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Peel yam and cut it in 1/2-inch dice. Remove seeds and membranes from red bell pepper. Cut it in 1-inch pieces.
- Place the yam and sweet potato pieces on a baking sheet. Add the olive oil, vegetable salt, and chili powder. Toss to coat all sides. Distribute in a single layer.
- Roast yams and sweet potatoes 15 minutes, or until yams are fork tender but not mushy.
- Meanwhile, place black beans with their packing liquid in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Reduce heat and cook about 10 minutes, stirring often. Strain through a sieve.
- Working in batches, place 2-3 corn tortillas in a large skillet over low heat. Sprinkle each with 1/6 of the cheese in a even distribution. Cover the pan for about 2-3 minutes, just until the cheese is barely melted and the tortillas are warm but still soft.
- To assemble, place a heaping spoonful of black beans on each cheesy tortilla, followed by one-sixth of the yam-red pepper mix. If desired, sprinkle with cilantro and add a dollop of sour cream.
- Serve hot with salsa on the side.