Hungarian Pepper Stew (or Lecsoe) is a rich, spicy dish that often includes a protein source such as eggs, sausage or frankfurters. In this version, I have used veggie dogs, for a delightful meaty taste.
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, halved, sliced
- 2 veggie dogs, sliced (1/4″)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dill seeds
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 1 (7-8 oz) can tomato sauce with jalapenos
- 1/2 c water
- 2 large bell peppers (or banana peppers), cut in 1/4″ strips
- Heat oil in a heavy, medium pot on medium setting. Add onions. Saute 12 minutes, or until onions begin to brown.
- Add garlic and saute another minute.
- Stir in dill seeds, paprika, and marjoram. Saute one minute.
- Add tomato sauce and water. Stir in peppers.
- Bring to simmer. Cover; reduce heat to very low. Simmer 20 minutes.
- Serve hot in bowls or over rice.