Here is a delicious vegan version of our Quick and Easy Tofu Meatballs; it was submitted by Grace Carrin. Visit Grace Carrin’s facebook page or The Vegg’s facebook page for details.
Makes about 20-24 meatballs.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ‘The Vegg’ egg yolk replacer
- 15 oz extra firm tofu, rinsed and patted dry
- 1/2 c whole wheat flour or all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp dry basil
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and use the tablespoon of oil to generously oil a baking sheet. Set aside.
- Add ‘The Vegg’ and 1/4 cup water to your food processor and pulse a few times until mostly blended.
- Break the tofu up a bit and add it to the food processor. (If the brand of tofu you are using is excessively wet, squeeze out as much water as possible first.) Add all of the remaining ingredients. Process until smooth and everything adheres together easily like a pasty dough.
- Roll bits of the mixture between your hands to make meatballs slightly larger than an inch in diameter. Place evenly spaced on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 15 minutes, turn the meatballs over, and bake another 15 minutes or until browned and firm. If a browner color is desired, place under the broiler for a minute or two on each side. Remove to a serving bowl, ladle on some hot pasta sauce, and sprinkle with nutritional yeast. (Tastes even better the second day!)