This pie crust works well for savory pies or for use in empanadas or pasties. It does not have the usual high cholesterol shortenings or butter, so it is not flakey, but it still tastes good.
Makes 2 crusts.
- 2 Tbsp ground flax seeds or raw, unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1/2 c whole wheat or all purpose flour
- 1/2 c instant mashed potato flakes
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 4-6 Tbsp room temperature water
- In a medium bowl whisk together the ground seeds, flour, potato flakes, and salt.
- Add just enough of the water to form a good, pliable dough ball.
- Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before rolling out on a lightly floured surface.
- Bake as usual, but wrap foil strips around the edges of the pie to keep from over-browning.