If using frozen sausage crumbles in this recipe, thaw in the refrigerator overnight. We use homemade Vegetarian Sausage Patties and crumble them. The dill makes them extra good!
- 2 medium bell peppers, red or green
- 1/2 c veggie sausage crumbles
- 1/4 c dry couscous
- 1/4 c boiling water
- 1/2 c green onions, finely sliced
- 1/3 c fresh dill, minced
- 1-15 oz can diced tomatoes with liquid (divided use)
- 1/8 tsp salt or to taste
- pinch black pepper
- 2 tsp all purpose flour
- With a small paring knife, cut around the stem of the bell pepper and remove all the seeds.
- Soak the couscous in the boiling water for 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the sausage, soaked couscous, onion, dill, salt and pepper. Add 1/4 cup diced tomatoes with liquid to the mix. Mix well.
- Stuff the peppers with the mixture until fully filled. Sprinkle a teaspoon of the flour on the top of each pepper and spread it to cover all the filling. (This prevents the mix from escaping the peppers.)
- Add the peppers to a pot just wide enough to hold them side by side. Add the remaining diced tomatoes with their liquid. Pour in enough water to rise halfway up the sides of the peppers. Bring to a boil on medium. Then put on lowest setting, cover, and simmer about 1 hour. Serve hot with the diced tomato base and a dollop of sour cream.