This Irish salad has layers of beets, cucumbers, cooked potato slices, hard-boiled eggs, cheddar cheese, and green onions. The dressing has a sour cream and mustard base.
Makes 4 side salads or 2 dinner salads.
- 1 large potato, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 small head red leaf or bibb lettuce
- 1-15 oz can sliced beets
- 1 Persian or English cucumber, sliced
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and sliced
- 2-3 green onions, sliced
- 2 oz cheddar cheese, diced
- 1/4 c sour cream
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp prepared mustard
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp celery seed
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Place the potato slices in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain and cool.
- Wash and tear the lettuce into bite-sized pieces. Dry in a spinner or wrap in toweling until dry.
- Rinse the beets and drain carefully.
- In a large salad bowl, place a layer of lettuce. Next add a layer of beets followed by a layer of cucumber and eggs. Add another layer of lettuce, followed by a layer of potatoes and green onions. Next add the cheese and a third layer of lettuce. Top with a little of each salad element remaining. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- For the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients. Serve in a small bowl alongside the layered salad.