In honor of St. Patrick’s Day, we have our own version of festive Irish Barley Pudding. Barley is cooked until soft in a pressure cooker, mixed with apple sauce, spiced with rum and cinnamon, and topped with pistachios and raisins.
- 1/2 c pearl barley
- 3 c water
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 c unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 c dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp butter rum extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch sea salt
- 2-3 Tbsp roasted and salted pistachios
- 2-3 Tbsp raisins
- In a 3-quart or larger pressure cooker, combine barley, water, and oil. Bring to high pressure over high heat. Adjust heat to the lowest level needed to maintain pressure; cook 25 minutes. Turn off burner and allow pressure to release naturally through steam vent.
- Place barley in blender with apple sauce, brown sugar, lemon juice, butter rum extract, cinnamon, and salt. Process until a thick pudding consistency, similar to fine rice pudding.
- Place in serving bowls and sprinkle with pistachios and raisins. Serve warm or chilled.