I serve this with pasta or just with a baked potato, and it is a high protein entree that everyone loves.
- 12-16 oz pkg extra firm tofu, drained
- 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 1 c Italian dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 c olive oil
- 2 c marina sauce
- 1 c (2 oz) shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cut tofu block in half. Cut each half into 1/2 inch slices.
- Lay tofu slices on clean toweling; pat dry. Allow to dry and drain for 30 minutes.
- Place flour, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl.
- In another shallow bowl, beat egg and milk together.
- In a third shallow bowl, place the Italian dry breadcrumbs.
- Dredge each slice of tofu in the flour mixture. Dip in egg wash, and then bread in the Italian breadcrumbs. Dust once more in the flour mixture.
- In a large skillet over medium setting, heat oil. Working in 2-3 batches, fry the tofu slices until browned on both sides. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- As each batch of tofu is fried, layer it in a casserole dish and ladle a small amount of marinara sauce on top of each layer. Sprinkle generously with Parmesan cheese.
- Serve immediately, or hold and reheat in a moderate oven until hot.