Awase miso has a flavor that is halfway between red miso and white miso, a little sweet and a little bit sharp. You may substitute 2 tablespoons white miso and 2 tablespoons red miso for the 4 tablespoons awase miso in this recipe.
Makes 5-6 cups miso soup.
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, sliced
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 c vegetable broth
- 6 oz tofu, cubed (1/2″)
- 1/3 c chopped fresh spinach, shiso leaf or other greens
- 1 tsp cut wakame (or crushed nori)
- 4 Tbsp awase miso
- In a large pot over medium heat, warm the oil.
- Add onion, carrots, and celery. Saute 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the red pepper flakes and garlic; saute another minute.
- Pour in vegetable broth; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes.
- Stir in tofu, spinach, and wakame. Bring back to heat.
- Remove 1 cup of the soup broth to a bowl. Stir in the miso until dissolved; add back to soup.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with sliced green onions if desired.