I buy my beef-flavored soya chunks from Betta.com. They are tender, yet meaty, and they really taste like beef. This hearty soup tastes even better the second day!
- 3/4 c beef-flavored soya (TVP) chunks
- 3/4 c boiling water
- 1 tsp vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 c tomato sauce
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled, diced
- 1 c cut green beans
- 1 c corn
- 2 red Fresno chili peppers, minced
- 1 Santa Fe grande (yellow) chili pepper, seeded, minced
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- Soak the beef-flavored soya chunks in the boiling water and Worcestershire sauce for 15 minutes.
- In a large heavy pot over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add onions and saute for 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic for another 30 seconds.
- Add vegetarian stock, soya beef with soaking liquid, tomato sauce, celery, potatoes, green beans, corn, Fresno chili peppers, Santa Fe grande chili pepper, black pepper, and salt to taste. Stir well.
- Bring to a simmer, reduce heat and simmer, partially covered for 20 minutes. Serve hot.