This olive sauce goes especially well with mushroom, butternut squash or cheese-filled tortellini. Serve with garlic bread, and an Italian salad.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 c chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves, minced
- 2 tsp fresh oregano, minced
- 2 tsp fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, minced
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 c water
- 1 c chopped ripe olives
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 16 oz mushroom, squash, cheese or other vegetarian tortellini
- In a large deep pot over medium low, warm the olive oil. Add onions and saute 4 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, thyme, oregano, parsley, rosemary and chili flakes. Saute another 30 seconds.
- Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, water, olives, brown sugar, and salt. Bring to simmer, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Cook tortellini according to package directions. Drain and portion out into bowls. Ladle on the hot sauce. If desired top with grated Parmesan cheese.