This soup has a delicious Sicilian flair. I used my homemade Stewed Chicken Seitan in this recipe, but any chicken-flavored seitan will work nicely. This makes a low calorie meal. Each cup of this soup is only about 204 calories!
Makes about 8 cups.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 c red onion, chopped
- 1 c red or orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 c zucchini, chopped
- 1 c carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 1/2 c celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 c water
- 1/2 c tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp chicken-style broth mix
- 2 c chicken-style seitan, diced
- 1 c garbanzo beans, drained
- 4 oz spaghetti noodles, broken in 1-2 inch lengths
- 1/4 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- In a large heavy pot over medium low, warm the olive oil.
- Add onion, bell pepper, zucchini, carrot, and celery. Saute 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute another minute.
- Pour in the water and tomato sauce. Add seitan and garbanzo beans. Raise heat to medium high and bring to simmering.
- Stir in the spaghetti noodles and cook 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally to prevent the pasta from sticking.
- Add salt if needed and pepper. Serve hot or warm.