With absolutely no added fats, this is a satisfying, high protein soup. I like to have plenty of it when cutting back on calories!
Makes about 4 quarts.
- 1 c dry mung beans
- 8 c water
- 1 small bell pepper
- 2 celery ribs
- 3 carrots, peeled
- 1/3 c minced parsley
- 1/2 c chicken flavored TVP nuggets*
- 1/4 c tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp vegetarian broth mix (low sodium)
- 2 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 1/2 tsp sea salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 4 c chopped Swiss chard with stems
- In a 7 quart Dutch oven or heavy pot, soak mung beans overnight in the water.
- Bring mung beans to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add bell pepper, celery, carrots, parsley, dry TVP, tomato paste, broth mix, paprika, salt, turmeric, onion powder, and cumin. Bring back to simmer and add more boiling water as needed.
- Simmer 20 minutes. Add chopped chard. Stir well; bring back to simmer and cook another 20 minutes. Serve hot.