Perfect for a wintry day, this hearty split pea soup is rich with nutritious vegetables.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 c red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 c onion, chopped
- 1/2 c carrot, chopped
- 1 c celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger root
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/2 tsp coriander seed
- 1/2 tsp caraway seed
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 c parsley, finely chopped
- 4 c water
- 1 Tbsp McKay’s chicken style vegetarian seasoning and broth mix (or similar)
- 1 tsp Vegeta (optional)
- 1 c yellow split peas, washed and sorted
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium potato, diced
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil on medium.
- Add the red bell pepper, onion, carrot, and celery; saute for a few minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, jalapeño, coriander, caraway and turmeric; saute another minute.
- Add the parsley, water, broth mix and Vegeta.
- Stir in the split peas and bay leaf and bring to a boil.
- Stir again, reduce heat to lowest setting, cover and simmer 45 minutes.
- Add the potato and simmer covered for an additional 15 minutes or until the split peas and potatoes are tender.