To get a higher protein content in a pasta meal, add textured vegetable protein (TVP).
Makes 4 cups.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil (divided use)
- 1/4 c unflavored TVP (textured vegetable protein granules or soya mince)
- 1/4 c boiling water
- 1 tsp chicken style vegetarian broth mix
- 1/2 c onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 c kale, minced (or 1 c minced parsley)
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, coarsely ground
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 2 c crushed tomatoes
- 3 oz tomato paste
- 1 1/2 c cold water
- 1 bay leaf
- pinch of cinnamon
- In a large saucepan over medium low, heat one tablespoon of the olive oil and add the TVP. Saute about 3 minutes, until browned. Carefully and slowly add the TVP to the boiling water. Mix in the broth mix. Stir and allow to stand 10 minutes.
- To the same large saucepan over medium low heat, add the remaining tablespoon of oil and saute the onion for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and saute another minute. Stir in the kale or parsley, red pepper, black pepper, basil, and oregano and saute another minute.
- Add the TVP with its soaking liquid, tomatoes, tomato paste, cold water, bay leaf, and cinnamon; allow to come up to simmering. Turn the heat to low and partially cover. Allow to simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until all the flavors have melded and you have the thickness you desire. Serve over pasta with plenty of grated Parmesan or Romano cheese.