Makes 8 biscuits (2.5 inch size).
- 3 c all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp aniseed
- 1/4 c vegetable shortening
- 6 Tbsp butter, finely diced
- 1/2 c fresh or reconstituted orange juice
- 1/2 c cold water
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, salt and aniseed.
- Cut in the shortening and butter with a pastry cutter until it looks like coarse bran.
- Add the orange juice and cold water and blend just until it comes together.
- Turn out on a floured board and press until one inch thick.
- Cut with a 2.5 inch biscuit cutter or can.
- Reform the scraps until you have 8 biscuits.
- Place them close together in a biscuit pan just big enough to hold all eight.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown on top and bottom.
- Allow to cool at least 15 minutes before serving with butter or jam.