- 4 medium (about 7 oz) russet potatoes
- 1/2 Tbsp high-heat, neutral oil
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/4-1/2 c milk
- 1 c Mexican shredded cheese blend
- 4 green onions, finely sliced
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Scrub potatoes and poke fork holes in the skins. Bake one hour or until soft inside. (Check with fork.)
- Cool 15 minutes, or until you can handle potatoes.
- Cut them in half lengthwise. Scrape skins, removing potato pulp to a bowl and being careful not to break the skins.
- Raise oven temperature to 400 degrees F.
- Rub the outside of the potato skins with oil; sprinkle with salt and place in a large baking dish or cast iron skillet.
- Add butter and pepper to the potato pulp, mashing together. Add milk until you have a creamy consistency. Add salt to taste.
- Mix in half the cheese and half the green onion.
- Fill potato skins with the mashed potato mixture. Top with remaining cheese; sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake 20 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining green onion.
- Serve hot with lemon wedges if desired.