This recipe does require an 8-inch cast iron skillet. It produces mildly sweet, fluffy, moist corn bread.
Makes 6 large slices of corn bread.
- 2/3 c all purpose flour
- 1/3 c yellow corn meal
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2/3 c cultured buttermilk
- 1/3 c water
- Place your oven rack in the upper third of the oven and place an ungreased 8-inch cast iron skillet on the rack. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, corn meal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg. Whisk in the vegetable oil, buttermilk, and water until you have a smooth, pourable, cake-like batter.
- Carefully remove the skillet from the oven and brush it with a half-teaspoon or so of butter, covering the sides as well as the bottom.
- Pour in the batter and bake 18 minutes, or until the top of the cornbread is golden and a toothpick inserted in the thickest part comes out clean.
- Cool in pan at least 30 minutes before slicing. Serve warm or at room temperature.