Makes 2 (8″) pepperoni logs.
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 1/2 c water
- 1/2 c refried beans or mashed pintos
- 2/3 c whole wheat flour
- 1 c gluten flour (vital wheat gluten)
- 1/4 c nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 Tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 1 tsp garlic flakes
- 1 tsp fennel seed
- 1 tsp coarse smoked pepper
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- In a medium bowl, mix the chia seeds with the water and allow to stand 10 minutes, or until thickened. Add refried beans; stir to blend. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, gluten flour, nutritional yeast, paprika, marjoram, garlic flakes, fennel seeds, coarse pepper, red pepper flakes and salt.
- Stir the wet ingredients (but not the oil) into the dry ingredients. Knead in bowl until very well combined. Break the dough into 2 parts. Roll each dough ball into a smooth 8″ log.
- Place each log on a sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil and brush each log on all surfaces with the vegetable oil. Roll the foil around the log snugly, and twist the ends tightly. Place both logs in a baking dish, seam sides down.
- Bake 40 minutes. Remove from oven, but leave the pepperoni logs in the foil for one hour. When cool enough to open, slice or dice the pepperoni. Use in your favorite recipes such as Vegetarian Pepperoni Hash. Tightly wrap and store extra pepperoni in the freezer.